Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

cover pink insulation in basement ceiling - with what?

cover pink insulation in basement ceiling - with what?

Old 12-30-01, 02:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Question cover pink insulation in basement ceiling - with what?

I have a two year old Massachusetts house. The cement basement is unfinished and has pink insulation inbetween the joists with the pink side facing down.

But the insulation seems to fall down often and seems like a dust/fiberglass dust problem and besides, it doesn't look good either.

Can I put up some type of sheeting and staple it to the bottom of the joists? This would keep the insulation from falling down and the dust level down. Is there a breathable barrier that won't cause condensation I can put up? Cotton sheets even?

And someday when I finish the basement, do I have to take the insulation out and just do the walls/floor? Or leave the pink insulation and whatever cover under it? What about a drop ceiling - could I still leave the insulation up if that goes in?

I've searched the web and haven't seen this addressed.

Just got a foosball table and the kids are spending more time in the basement. I have exercise equipment and a workshop down there.

Did have an outbreak of mold the first summer. But bought a de-humidifier this year and everything is dry.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-01, 03:49 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Since I assume your basement is heated, The biggest benefit your getting from the insualtion in the basement ceiling is sound deadening between floors... which is a nice benefit. especially with kids playing down there..

You can either use (tiger teeth) heavy gage wires that are 16" wide and fit in between the joists, One every 2 ft or so will hold the insulation in place... Or If you wanted to install a breathable material to the underside of the joists that would work also...

you can finish the ceiling drywall, drop ceiling ... whatever and leave the insualtion in

Good Luck

Jim

Old 12-30-01, 04:10 PM
Visiting Guest
The basement is unheated...The bare cement walls would just suck the heat away....Thanks for the tiger suggestion

Old 12-31-01, 07:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing a basement

Go to www.doityourself.com/basement for useful info. To properly finish a basement, you will need to seal masonry walls, address moisture issues, fir or stud out the basement, insulate, drywall and make ceiling choice (drop ceiling or dry wall).

Old 01-09-02, 04:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Non-furred concrete walls

That is a good write up, but what if you want full 2X4 walls against your below-grade concrete basement walls. The furring strip method will require conduit for electical, and I don't want to add that headache. Can you still use the 2" foam insulation and leave a air gap?

Old 01-09-02, 05:37 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When I framed my basement I just used 2x4 framing. Then being the cheap person that I can be sometimes, took the insulation from the ceiling (it was r-13 type) and put it into the walls. Saved a little in the insulation buying department. What I would do if you do reuse the insulation is to put copius rips in the vapor barrier that is on the insulationa and use a 6 mil poly sheet of plastic on the whole wal as a vaopr barrier. I then put in a drop ceiling. The advantages: 1. Provided sound insulation 2. Allowed me to use flex piping to put heat ducts into the ceiling. 3. Allows full access to any utilities in the future.

Old 01-09-02, 08:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Stapling sheeting is a good idea for the dust, but you need those wires, too.
If your furnace is in the basement, it is heated in a sense; furnaces and the pipes will lose heat to the basement. If the ceiling is insulated, you are losing that heat. If you leave the insulation in the basement ceiling for sound-proofing, you should insulate the walls, especially the section that is above grade. The basement won't be nice and toasty, but it will stay significantly warmer.