Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

How best to insulate small cinderblock space inside house, under front lading?

Old 01-02-02, 06:35 AM
gubs18
Visiting Guest

I have a 28 year old bi-level home with no basement. As you enter the home you stand on a very cold landing, under the landing is a small 4 x 3 x 3 cinderblock enclosure. There is access to the enclosure thru a small closet, then thru a very small plywood “hatch” to this area. This enclosure is very cold with no insulation or vents.
Here is the makeup of that enclosure:
- Two walls are interior
- One wall is the plywood “hatch”
- One wall shares the wall of the exterior landing (not sure if exterior landing is filled solid or not).
- Ceiling is an uninsulated wood frame.
- Floor is cement

The interior landing’s floor is very cold, as well as the plywood "hatch"; thus cooling the living area.

Should any of the enclosure be insulated, or does that just cause a moisture problem? Any other words of advise?
Thank you much,
Lou

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-02, 05:07 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
seems to me since that area is only accessable through a closet and then through a hatch that it is not actually a conditioned space.. Meaning no heat actually ever gets to that area.. So at best you might try insulating the underside of the landing area..

I actually dont believe that will produce much benefit though...

Possibly installing carpet and pad in that area will produce the most beneficial results for comfort.. or some other type of flooring to restrict the cold..

Good Luck

Jim

Old 01-02-02, 05:10 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
more thoughts...

You could insulate the door access area and install a vented closet door to allow heat to enter that closet space.