ice and water running

Old 01-04-02, 09:06 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ice and water running

ive just recently noticed that on the north end of my house that there is water running out from behind my siding and freezing ice down the house. what is the cause for this???

Old 01-04-02, 10:13 AM
rapom
Visiting Guest
I 'm no professional home builder but I think I can answer your question.

I'm assuming that there is a lot of snow on your roof.
There is probably a lot of ice in your gutters and as the snow that is next to the warm shingles of your roof melts it refreezes as it gets close to your ice dammed gutter. (Because at this point your roof is alot cooler) After awhile the water ends up backing up under your shingles because it gets blocked by the ice dam in your gutter. It then will find its way behind your siding and also inside your walls and sometimes it can do a lot of damage.

There are electric heating wires or grids that you can install just above your gutters that are supposed to help get aleviate the problem.

If you live in a snowy area you should be able to find products on the market to help you avoid this problem.

If not, use the old fashion way and get a ladder and use a hammer and chisel, or anything that will bust up the ice to get the water off your roof.

Be very careful!!!

Hope this helps

Old 01-04-02, 01:03 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nope no snow on the roof and hasnt had anykind of precipitation for 5 or six days the water is coming frome the weep holes on the siding on the end of the house (on the peak end) where there isnt any need for gutters. temps have been in low teens at night and twenties to thirtys during the day and sunny

Old 01-04-02, 01:28 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's condensation. You are keeping your house warm, and it's cold (below freezing) outside. Sounds like you have pretty poor (or NO) insulation in the walls. Having cellulose or fiberglass blown into the walls would cure the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: