More Insulation and Type

Old 01-03-02, 07:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Question More Insulation and Type

I recently built a new home and had blown in - loose fill fiberglass insulation in the attic. The R-value is supposed to be 38. The insulation measures about 13 inches deep. I noticed that when I reached my hand down through the insulation to the drywall, it was very warm. Does this mean I am loosing heat.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-02, 07:38 AM
The way insulation restricts heat flow is by retaining it. It cannot stop it. The warmth that you feel when you put your hand down into the insulation is supposed to be there.

For your information the R-38 is an outcome of a heat flow calculation which stands for 1/38th of a BTU per square inch of this insulation per hour heat loss. Therefore the higher the R-Value, the less heat loss. Regardless how high the R-Value is, it cannot stop the heat flow completely.

Old 01-03-02, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
need more

What do you normally do when you have to go up into the attic and you disturb the insulation? Meaning, the areas were I walk on the trusses has become flattened. Kinda like walking through the snow and leaving foot prints.

Old 01-03-02, 10:27 AM
Depending on how much treading you did up there. If you were up there for a little while chances are the insulation will fluff up by itself. If you did a lot of treading, then you can fluff it up with your hands. You don't have to fluff up every little piece of loose fill, just enough to separate the pieces and it'll go back to it's original shape.

Search this Thread