Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing insulation in roof rafters

Visiting Guest

01-05-02, 09:19 AM   #1  
csroy
Replacing insulation in roof rafters

I live in a 100 year old house. I am remodeling an upstairs bedroom. My roof does not appear to have any ventilation at all. No ridge vent and no vent fans. When I removed the old sheetrock along the roof i found that it was full of blown in insulation. What insulation should i put back in place? Should there not be any insulation between the roof rafters? When i look back behind the knee wall i see that that space is pretty much full of blown in insulation. Not totally full but has a large amount. My concern is that i will be doing the wrong thing for my roof. Should i just not worry and just install some rolled insulation between the rafters? HELP?

Last edited by csroy; 01-05-02 at 12:48 PM.

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-07-02, 01:34 PM   #2  
100 years ago they didn't insulate houses, so ventilation was not required. That's the reason why you don't see any attic vents in your home. With the installation of blown in insulation in your home, you should look for any signs of moisture in the absence of attic ventilation. When you redo the room and if there is insulation between the rafters, I would recommend you remove it and check for moisture signs.

There are these styrofoam baffles that you can buy and are installed between the rafters before installing batt insulation. If there weren't any moisture signs when you removed the insulation, there's a good chance there is some type of ventilation there that you're not aware of.

Search this Thread