Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating studio over unheated open porch.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-06-02, 12:44 AM   #1  
Insulating studio over unheated open porch.

I am checking a friends house where the insulation has been applied by homeowner under the floor joists and above an open porch. It was applied with the vapor barrier(down) to the open (unheated side). I'm asking if this should make any difference? The upstairs has a bath and any downstairs moisture can rise freely so I'm concerned with moisture being trapped between the wood floor and joist area.

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-06-02, 05:35 AM   #2  
If you check with the U.S. Dept. of Energy website on vapor barriers, you will see the vapor barrier is installed correctly. The vapor barrier is installed that way to prohibit the humidity outside from condensing inside the insulation. Humidity usually condenses on cooler surfaces and since the inside of the home in your area is the cooler side, the vapor barrier is installed that way.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-06-02, 05:53 AM   #3  

Thanks: This winter is proving somewhat different but I see the point. Other factors intrude as there is so much single pane glass that can affect the temperature. Thanks again I'll check the site.-Al

Search this Thread