Insulating old hous

Old 01-07-02, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Insulating old hous

I have a house built in 1950. There is no insulation within any walls, only in the attic. I am curious as to what benefit I would get by insulating my exterior walls. I would like to take down the existing exterior walls, insulate and put up a moisture barrier and hang drywall. Does this sound like to much trouble? What type of insulation would be best? Should I also insulate the interior walls and floors?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-02, 10:16 AM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
I assume you mean remove the drywall from the exterior walls and then insulate and re-install new drywall..

Seems like alot of work to me, If the drywall that is existing is in good shape.. It is possible to hire a contractor to blow cellulose into the exterior walls, without removing the drywall.. I would call around and get a few quotes prior to deciding which route to go.

If you do decide to go the demo route, Here would be my suggestion. Install R-13 Kraft faced fiberglass insulation in all exterior stud cavity's. Foam seal around all windows, doors, electrical outlets and any penetrations to the outside, prior to installing the fiberglass, reinstall drywall.

Seems to me it would be alot less expensive to go the cellulose route, when you consider all the work, and mess which will be created by the demo.

Approx cost in this area is $1.00 to $1.50 per square foot to have cellulose blown in to existing walls..

Besides the added savings on your energy consumption, you will find your house will be quieter and more comfortable once you have properly insulated those walls.

Good Luck

Jim

Old 01-08-02, 12:31 PM
Visiting Guest
What about interior walls, should I insulate them as well? What type of insulation should I use?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-08-02, 07:44 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
the only benifit from insulating interior walls is for sound control,
hardly worth the expense at this point in my opinion.

as for insulating the floor, unless your on a crawl space or an unheated basement then again the only benefit is for sound control.

Good luck

Jim

Old 01-09-02, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Insulation continued

Let me ask a silly question. How do you handle insulation around the interior electrical outlets? Is it ok to let the insulation rest against the outlet box?

Jeff

Old 01-09-02, 01:05 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
yes

Old 01-09-02, 01:08 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Let me restate that

Yes ....... if you use unfaced insulation