Insulation over knob-and-tube wiring in attic

Old 01-15-02, 03:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Insulation over knob-and-tube wiring in attic

I recently put fiberglass insulation in our attic -- and the upstairs rooms have knob and tube wiring. A friend tells me I should be careful not to lie the insulation atop the wires and knobs (and light fixture junctions) for fire hazard reasons. Is he right? Is it safe if I lay the insulation perpendicular to the joists (as opposed to parallel) and thus create an air space -- about a 4-6 inch "wall cavity" around the wires? Are there other tricks I can do -- like laying a 2x4 across the joists to prevent contact between the batt and the wires? Am I being overly cautious?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-02, 05:02 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
If you used unfaced insulation I'm pretty sure that you should be ok.

Ever notice in a new light fixture that there is normally unfaced insulation with foil over it around the wire and connection areas!!

Good Luck

Jim

Old 01-15-02, 05:33 PM
Visiting Guest
More on this

Thanks very much. What if the backing is that stiff brown paper on the batt? It's not foil (which *could* *maybe* *in theory* conduct electricity). Still think it's all right?
Blaisefish

Old 01-16-02, 01:29 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
The brown paper is Kraft faced insulation. When installing insulation in a cold climate area the vapor barrier (Kraft facing) would be installed against the drywall. If you put this insualtion over exisiting insulation you should tear off all the paper. As You do not want a vapor barrier to be on top of or in the middle of the insulation. This will cause a moisture problem in the future. If there was no insulation and this is the first insulation ever installed in that ceiling area then just remove the paper near the wiring areas so as not to worry about fires!!

Good Luck

Jim

Old 01-16-02, 01:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks very much -- again. makes me feel better about staying warm!