Insulation - 1.5 story house

Old 01-15-02, 09:26 PM
grausch
Visiting Guest
Insulation - 1.5 story house

Problem is ice........ I have walk-in attic spaces(the house is 1.5 story built in 1939) with rolled insulation between the rafters. This FG insulation has cut of the air flow to the upper attic space. Is it an acceptable practice to lay vents between the underside of the roof deck and the rolled insulation or beter to use something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-02, 02:54 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the insulation is prohibiting the air flow from the lower part of the attic to the higher part, then you would install (slide between if you can) styrofoam baffles between the insulation and roof. These styrofoam baffles are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 01-16-02, 08:47 PM
grausch
Visiting Guest
I also have some domers that I cannot get into, The snow melts from these and I'm not sure what to do I used to have nice copper gutters and now their all bent up Can insulation and vents be added from the soffits?

Old 01-17-02, 06:19 AM
R
I am assuming you have shed dormers and there is access from the shed dormers to the main part of the roof. If they are gable dormers and the ceilings are similar to cathedral, you might want to call a professional.

In either case, I would still recommend the styrofoam baffles. Hopefully. there is some access from the dormers to the main section. If that is the case, the increased ventilation may eliminate the warm areas in the attic which is causing the ices dams. If there is insulation already present in the main section, it is more than likely the dormers are insulated also.

There is a site that gives some illustrations on Ice Dams and what causes them. Click on Ice dams and it'll bring you there.

Old 01-17-02, 06:14 PM
grausch
Visiting Guest
Inside the house, the dormers are cathedral. I have learned alot by reading information at various sites. I know what needs to be done in a typical house, but I don't have access into various sections under the roof deck. I'm going to try adding vents and more insulation in the upper attic; however, because I cannot get close to the soffits, I may still have ice problems.

Thanks for your help

Old 01-21-02, 09:28 PM
grausch
Visiting Guest
In the first question of this thread, I thought I was dealing with FG insulation. It turns out to be Balssa Wool. I tried to remove it without damaging it, but that was impossible. I have other spaces that may have this Balssa Wool in it. How safe is it to be around?

Thanks again for all your help

Greg

Old 01-21-02, 10:01 PM
R
Balssa wool is also known as rock wool and it's a slag from the steel making process. Rock wool is extremely fire proof and if you ever dealt with gunpowder it's usually pack in it. As far as it being harmful to you, I've never heard of anything to that.

Gable vents can be installed from the outside and usually are and not difficult to do. Without the lower vents, the probablility that the ice dams will still occur is great. You could add vents at both lower ends of the gable provided that area has knee walls. If not, then dropping the facia board is an alternative. Your gutter is attached to your facia and what contractors do is drop it 2 inches to allow air to enter the attic. The shingles usually drape over it into the gutters.