Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement Insulation

Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 10:53 AM   #1  
DyeLooper
Basement Insulation

Hello,
I am clubbing out the basement in my home. The home is brand new and has 4 inch insulation attatched on the concrete walls with a silver foil vapor barrier. I have studded the basement and am getting ready to add or not add more insulation. My question is: Do I add insulation between the studs to fill the void that would be there between the drywall and the silver vapor barrier, and if so, do I use another vapor barrier or non-backed insulation. Or do I not add anything else? Pro's and/or con's, any information would be appreciated, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-20-02, 04:29 PM   #2  
Insulman
I would assume that you built your walls in front of the existing wall Insulation.. If that is the case, If it were me I would just add drywall since the existing insulation is in place. Is that foil covering and FSK product. Generally you will notice strands in the foil, It will not appear as smooth as the aluminum foil in your cupboard. Foil only or paper faced Insulation is Supposed to have drywall directly touching the vapor barrier, no gap between. Fsk faced Insulation does not require this. At least those are the situations in Michigan..

Good Luck

Jim

Search this Thread