Crawlspace Insulation

Old 01-21-02, 11:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Crawlspace Insulation

I am thinking of installing radiant heat in my family room. Since it is over crawl space, I wanted to check out the insulation in the floor.

The floor from the bottom up is as follows:
6 mil plastic on the ground
2x8 floor joist,
2 mill plastic draped over the 2x8's
2.5" faced insulation on top of the plastic, vapor barrier stapled on top side of the 2x8's toward the warm side of the room
1/2" plywood floor on top of the 2x8's ( looks like pretty good stuff)
Two (2) layers of tar paper
3/8 particle board on the top

My question is how much insulation should I add to the 2.5" and do I remove the 2 mil plastic drapped over 2x8's before adding any insulation

Thanks for listening Bob Coon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-02, 04:15 AM
From the bottom up. Six mil. poly on the dirt, remove the plastic on the bottom of the floor joist as it creates a vapour lock trapping moisture in the insulation. Insulation "R" value depends on code requirements for your area. Now a question. Is the radient heat source to be installed under the floor or over? If under, a reflective radient barrier ( the fellow who sells this will be along shortly)your heat lines, sub floor, finished floor. If installing on top of the sub floor, as listed but now the radient barrier on top of the sub floor, heat lines, light weight concrete, finished floor.