Insulating a sunroom

Old 01-25-02, 03:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Insulating a sunroom

I recently purchased a condo and the deck has been turned into a sun room. As far as I can tell, there is no insulation. It is pretty much all windows. There is about an inch and a half of wood between the panes and there is about of foot of wall space between the top of the panes and the ceiling and like wise on the bottom. The inner wall is the outside of the building, painted to match. The walls are wood, not sheetrock or drywall. they have been painted over and have mold in various spots. I live in
Alaska, so this room is usually around zero degrees in the winter and around 90 degrees in the summer. I think the only place I can put insulation is in the ceiling. It slopes upward towards the building and I think I would have 2-3 feet of space to put insulation and then put in another ceiling that is flat. What kind of insulation should I use? How would I put in another ceiling? Would sheetrocking the bits of walls help? How do I get the mold off? Is there a special paint that will help prevent mold? The room is about 31/2' by 7'. Would insulating the ceiling help enough to make it worth while?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 06:39 PM
Insulating those small areas would not be very beneficial.

The real concern is the mold on the wall and it's probably inside the wall. The sunroom gets hot during the summer and air conditioning is being used inside the home. As the heat from the sunroom tries to go through the wall, because of the air conditioning inside the home, the heat probably condensed inside the wall. This is what causing the mold. There is no paint that can resolve your problem. Even if air conditioning was not used, the inside of the home would be so much cooler than the sunroom that condensation would still probably occur in the wall.

I would recommend that you remove the sheet rock to see if there is any moisture damage.