Brand new insulation smells like fuel oil..

Old 01-27-02, 02:03 PM
hp500efi
Visiting Guest
Brand new insulation smells like fuel oil..

Finishing off part of my basement for a rec room and started to insulate the walls today and the insulation I bought (Certainteed R13 with attached vapor barrier) smells like fuel oil. Is this normal, if so, will it go away? The yellow insulation does not smell rather the paper type vapor barrier does.

I have about 40' of wall that needs to be insulated and I did about 10' and the smell is overwhelming so I decided to stop and find out why it smells.

It almost smells like diesel fuel.

I got the insulation from Home Depot and it is Certainteed # 900320.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 05:53 PM
If you tear back some of the paper vapor barrier, you will see a substance that looks like tar. That is the actual vapor barrier and not the paper. In most cases the ordor is so faint people don't notice it. If the odor is strong, I would recommend you contact the manufacturer. They will be more than happy to address your concerns. There's a good chance that the insulation was just recently manufactured and the odor will fade away in time. I would still contact the manufacturer.

Old 01-27-02, 06:39 PM
It may be par for course......I recently installed the same type from HD and the odor was very strong of motor oil.....

Old 01-29-02, 03:57 AM
hp500efi
Visiting Guest
Called the MFR yesterday to voice my concerns and they said the smell is normal and should dissipate in a few days. They said I should of opened up the bag of insulation outside (garage) and let it breathe for a few days and then install it, I told them that was great advice only the packaging did not say that and the bags were already opened in the basement.

They use a Tar to adhere the paper/vapor barrier to the insulation.

Old 01-30-02, 09:54 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Fiberglass Insulation has an odor that is unpleasant, walk in any Insulation contractors warehouse on a hot summer day.. It smells pretty bad... this does go away.. Also if you use kraft faced insulation it is supposed to be covered by drywall, If not it is extremely flammable due to the tar and kraft facing. Once covered you shouldn't notice the odor any longer..

Jim

Old 02-01-02, 05:17 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

If dealer or manufacturer tells you that petrol fumes coming off their products is normal then that tells you how arrogant they are and how little they value your health.

These fumes can trigger asthma attacks and come off the product for years to come. This pitch they use is also an EXTREME fire hazzard, but they don't tell you that either.

The other material that is coating your batts is carcenogenic chemicals that off gas also. They can also trigger allergic reations. Children in particular can become chemical sensitive to these products and the doctors have a hard time figuring out why.

The fumes mentioned in warehouses and lumber stores is this chemical off gassing. Unfortunately, I know of no state that requires labeling or employee protection against this and other fiberglass hazzards. The US government does not require the manufactures to reveal this to you either.

There are safe, more efficient products than fiber glass.

Thank you for considering my opinion.