Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

third floor

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-29-02, 02:11 PM   #1  
third floor

I own a home circa 1905 that is a four unit apartment building I am currently making a 5th unit on the third floor. Some of the exterior walls will be on the roof rafters. When the roof was put on a ridge vent was installed. I want to maintain adaquate air flow but still insulate the rafters. The spacing , as sure as many of you know, varies... the rafters of this house vary but seem to be about 24 inches on center. The roof pitch is 12-17 on 1/2 the rest is 12-13. The roof is 3/4 plywood with asphalt shingles. the rafters are aproxx. 3x6. I am looking for an inexpensive way to do this. I don't mind a little extra work to get the job done. Any good advice will be apreciated GREATLY :)

Sponsored Links

NJ

02-04-02, 07:38 AM   #2  
I'm assuming your going to have a ceiling and knee walls. The area you have concern with is the slant wall between the knee wall and ceiling. The way to provide adequate ventilation is to install styrofoam baffles between the rafters only where the slant wall is located, then insulate. Be sure to get insulation that you won't compress when installed. In other words, don't put 5 1/2" thick insulation in a 3 1/2" space.

Search this Thread