best way to insulate stucco over brick home?

Old 01-30-02, 11:38 AM
Iam K.C.
Visiting Guest
best way to insulate brick home that has stucco over it?

What is the best way to insulate an old brick home with stucco over it? It appears to be solid brick because the interior walls are brick. If we decide not to do it ourselves, what type of business knows about insulating existing brick homes? Our propane heating bill run $350 in the winter. Thanks KC

Last edited by Iam K.C.; 01-30-02 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-02, 09:48 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
IF your walls are solid brick, adding Insulation is not likely without framing new interior walls against the brick and filling with insulation then drywalling.. I would guess your home is very old in excess of 100 years at least if it is solid brick. Insualtion wasnt even thought of when that type construction method was used.

Most Insualtion contractors give free estimates, I would suggest you call a few and have them look at your situation and perhaps they might have other ideas..

Good Luck

Jim

Old 02-01-02, 05:31 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

I insulate these types of buildigs the same way I insulate basement walls.

Attach 2x2s to the interior walls and install two layers of radiant barrier insulation(RBI), and then drywall. You could install 1x2s and one layer RBI if you are capable of working with that light of wood. The radiant barrier willl out perform a 6" fiberglass batt and also act as your vapor barrier. Be sure to glue the wood for additional adherance to the wall.

The RBI material to use is a light kraft paper with foil laminated to both sides.

If you have fiber insulation in the attic you can install a perforated RBI over that and get additional savings.

Thank you for considering my opinion.