Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

best insulation for old home

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-03-02, 11:10 AM   #1  
best insulation for old home

My home is 50 yrs old, stucco exterior. It has attic insulation only. No dual pane windows, wall insulation. Does have fire place insert/convection. What is the most efficient way to further insulate the house?

Sponsored Links

OH

02-03-02, 11:44 AM   #2  
Insulating

Go to www.resercon.com for informative articles on insulation. Also, go to www.owenscorning.com for helpful info.

Visiting Guest

02-14-02, 06:47 PM   #3  
Maineyak
Hi tes,
I don't know where you live because it's not in your profile.
If you live in a cold or hot climate you might consider blowing in fiberglass insulation from the inside. Installers can drill 1 or 2" holes in your sheetrock or plaster (that you can patch later) and blow fiberglass into your wall cavities. Fiberglass is superior to cellulose in this application because it does not settle when it's installed correctly. Cellulose will settle no matter how it's installed. It's the nature of the beast. I guess the stucco could probably be patched too... if the inside installation is not feasable.

You can get more info on blown fiberglass here: http://www.bibca.org/
I think the website is geared towards new construction but there are plenty of options for a retro-fit such as yours.

Hope this helps,

Maineyak

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-15-02, 07:01 PM   #4  
maineyak:
Thanks for your suggestion but what about the 50 yr old wiring in the wall. I've heard blowing in insulation can create a fire hazard with old wiring?
tes

NJ

02-15-02, 08:45 PM   #5  
If your wiring only 50 years old, you don't have to worry about it. The only time wiring becomes a problem when it's knob and tube. Most of the houses you'll find knob and tube are pre World War II.

Search this Thread