Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Want to add attic insulation, but existing has kraft paper on both sides(?)

Want to add attic insulation, but existing has kraft paper on both sides(?)

Old 02-04-02, 06:55 AM
gubs18
Visiting Guest
Question Want to add attic insulation, but existing has kraft paper on both sides(?)

I have a 28 yr old home and found that the attic insulation has this kraft/waxy paper on both sides (insulation in the middle is black as opposed to pink).

I'm looking to add attic insulation for the house gets cold very quickly in the winter (can go from 72 to 60 within a 4.5 hr period on cold NJ nights). Currently in the 2x6 spans I only have about 3 - 4 inches of insulation.

So my questions are:
1. is having Kraft paper on both sides a bad thing?
2. can I add FG (or some other insulation) to the top on this existing insulation (normally I thought you only add to unfaced paper)?
3. can this black insulation be FG (I thought FG was always pink)?(there is no writing on the kraft paper telling me who the manufacture is).
4. to do the job right in adding insulation, should I remove all the old insulation & replace w/ new (yuck)?

BTW: a big thank you to all those that gave advise on installing a attic pulldown ladder (came out great)!!

thank you for your time!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-02, 07:24 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can add unfaced FG insulation over the existing insulation. Also, you should consider getting an insulation kit for the pull down stairs.

Old 02-04-02, 07:51 AM
gubs18
Visiting Guest
Re: Want to add attic insulation, but existing has kraft paper on both sides(?)

great idea about the attic door insulation kit. are these custom kits i would buy from the attic ladder manufacturer, or are there generic kits i can buy from a Home Depot type of store?

thanks!

Old 02-04-02, 11:31 AM
R
The generic kits you'll find at Home Depot. You may want to check with the manufacturer to se if they make a kit specific for your ladder. They are probably much better than the generic kind.

I prefer to make my own out of rigid board insulation with a hot glue gun.The metal arms of the ladder which the springs are attached to, protrude approximately 3 to 5 inches above the attic floor. So you can't lay anything flat over the opening for the ladder. So I make a box that could out of the rigid board insulation. Let's say the opening for the ladder is 36" by 50", then I would cut the following pieces out of rigid board insulation and hot glue them together.

Two pieces 54" long and 10" wide.

Two pieces 40" long and 10" wide.

One piece 54" long and 40" wide.

Once glued together, I would lay it over the opening than close the ladder. I KNOW THESE DIMENSIONS ARE WRONG. They were used just for illustration.

Old 02-04-02, 11:47 AM
R
The generic kits you'll find at Home Depot. You may want to check with the manufacturer to see if they make a kit specific for your ladder. They are probably much better than the generic kind.

I prefer to make my own out of rigid board insulation with a hot glue gun.The metal arms of the ladder which the springs are attached to, protrude approximately 3 to 5 inches above the attic floor. So you can't lay anything flat over the opening for the ladder. So I make a box that could out of the rigid board insulation. Let's say the opening for the ladder is 36" by 50", then I would cut the following pieces out of rigid board insulation and hot glue them together.

Two pieces 54" long and 10" wide.

Two pieces 40" long and 10" wide.

One piece 54" long and 42" wide.

Assuming that you are using 1" insulation, the two longer pieces will go on the outside of the two shorter pieces. That's why the one piece is 42" wide and not 40". Once glued together, I would lay it over the opening then close the ladder. I KNOW THESE DIMENSIONS ARE WRONG. They were used just for illustration. The height of 10 inches and the 2 inch overlay around the perimeter of the opening would be good to use with your dimensions. In other words, just add 4 inches to the length and width to the dimensions of your opening.

I use duct tape to hold the pieces together until the glue sets up and even tape the joints for added strength.

Old 02-04-02, 02:38 PM
gubs18
Visiting Guest
thanks again......great (easy) solution!