Insulation and Vapor Barrier

Old 02-06-02, 01:10 PM
rmelton
Visiting Guest
Question Insulation and Vapor Barrier

I am new to the whole insualtion game and have spent some time reading prevouis post in this forum, as well as others. It appears to be some differences in opions about insulations and VBs. I have a few quesitons that some one may help clear up for me.

1) In my basement the bathroom was finished with the rest of the house. I noticed they used R-13 with kraft paper, no VB. Should I follow along with the builder in the finishing of the rest of the basement? Or should I use a VB. My basement is dry.

2)What would be the best choice to use for the ceiling in the basement between joist.

3) Is there anything special I need to do when putting the insulation around pipes\ducts?

4) In framing the walls not all sections have the 15" between studs. Should I cut the insulation to fit the desired section?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-02, 01:32 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
R-13 with a kraft facing ... the kraft facing is a vapor barrier.

Assuming the basement is framed inside the poured wall with 2 x 4 's you can either install r-13 kraft with paper facing in towards drywall or r-13 unfaced with a 6 mil poly vapor barrier over. Most builders and insulaters in this area use the kraft faced and staple it inside the studs, this allows for the drywall to be glued and screwed to the face of the studs.

shouldnt have to worry about going around ducts and pipes, If it makes you feel more secure you can remove the kraft paper about 4" around the area in direct contact with your ducts and pipes.

I assume you wish to insulate the basement ceiling for sound, rather than thermal.. that being the case R-11 is regularly used to reduce sound transmissions between floors. This should be unfaced and held in place with wire supports prior to drywalling or finishing ceiling. By no means is this soundproofing, but it does make a noticable difference for the minimal costs.. approx 20 cents a sq. ft. in this area

I would trim any batts that are more than 1" wider than the stud space.

Hope that helps

good luck

Jim