Another Idea for Gable End

Old 02-08-02, 10:35 AM
Falcon2dr
Visiting Guest
Another Idea for Gable End

Since I don't have any studs to staple insulation to, what if I turned it around and stapled the paper to the Gable end, then covered the fiberglass with plastic for a VB?????? This will be facing towards the interior of the attic.

I'm running out of options.

Diana

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-02, 11:10 AM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
not sure I understand exactly your scenerio, but I assume that your two gable ends of the room are the exterior sheeting applied to 2x4's on the flat only giving you a total of 1 1/2" depth for insulation. The drywall is to be installed on the interior face of the 2x4's?

If this is the case you could put 2x2's 16" on center on the face of the 2x4's and build the wall to allow for 3 inches of insulation. Then you could install an R-13 batt. You would lose a couple of r- values because you would be compressing the batt slightly.

If this method doesn't work you could then just install unfaced fiberglass and the poly over. Do not use kraft face in conjunction with poly, this will create a moisture problem. a 2/12 inch batt is available in the marketplace and will compress to fit that 1 1/2" space. Again you will lose a few r's but your scenerio doesnt leave for an easy fix for insulating.

Good Luck

Jim

Old 02-08-02, 12:30 PM
Falcon2dr
Visiting Guest
No drywall will be going up in this space... It will be attic only here. Your right about only having 1.5" on the flat of a 2x4, and they are spaced randomly, not 16" oc or 24" for that matter. If I can't use the kraft and a poly, what about John's manville that is totally encapsulated in their plastic..?? I've got that for other places that have 2x4's turned the right way...

Di

Old 02-08-02, 08:10 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
If it is attic only, and not a finished room with heat or air.. you dont need to insulate it. Insulation basically envelopes conditioned spaces.

So assumming your heating this space and you still want to insulate the gable ends you could run 2 x 2's horizontally and attach them to the face of the 2x4's 16" on center. then install the insulation sideways instead of up and down.

The encapsulated product from JM should do the job. I believe the product is perforated on both sides so it actually doesnt work as a vapor barrier. But double check this to be sure.

hope this helps. let me know what you decide would be interested in hearing how it turns out.

Jim

Old 02-08-02, 09:58 PM
Conserve NRG
Visiting Guest
Falcon2dr,
Insulman is correct.
The surfaces you want to insulate sound like the roof sheathing and gable.
If your attic is to be unused for living it is better to insulate the ceiling.

Old 02-09-02, 04:41 PM
Falcon2dr
Visiting Guest
Insulman,

I like your idea of going Horz instead of Vertical... There's no reason that shouldn't work...

The roof trusses are already insulated with R-19 and air baffles.. I'm probably going over board on the insulation, but I hate to be COLD..

This attic, will be over a bedroom below that has 2 outside walls, and next to one upstairs. I've been calulking every gap and void I can find. I'm going to do my best to keep it warm and draft free.

Thanks...
Diana

Old 02-10-02, 05:47 AM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
What I think you need to be doing is insulating the floor of the attic. not the ceiling of the attic and walls of the attic. If the floor of the attic (ceiling of the bedroom below) is not insulated well you will lose tons of heat from your conditioned space to the attic area. Even though the attic would be insulated, since it is not heated it will draw tons of heat from that bedroom below through the ceiling.

Jim

Old 02-10-02, 04:22 PM
Falcon2dr
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I got the insulation in the gabe horizontally, it is only a little bit compressed in places. It worked fine, and only took 3 pieces of 2x4.

The ceiling of the bedroom will get the same R-19 as the roof trusses. I just needed to get the gable done first, while I still had plenty of access.

Thanks Guy's...

Diana