Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage insulation - drywalled already

IL

02-14-02, 08:25 PM   #1  
Garage insulation - drywalled already

My wife and I moved into a newly constructed home about 2 years ago. I want to insulated the garage walls, but the builder drywalled the garage without insulating it. Why?.... Duh!

anyway...

Now I want to heat the garage (woodworking shop), and insulate it, and thinking blow in insulation. I'll have to cut a hole in the drywall between all the studs for the blower. Not only that, he didn't leave an access to the attic part of the garage, as the ceiling is drywalled as well. I'll deal with that, I guess.

Does anybody have any easier, and as/more effective ideas for this project before I begin?

Sponsored Links

02-23-02, 03:25 AM   #2  
Blown in insulation is the option that will be easier & less expensive. Since there is no insulation in the walls a vapour barrier will likly be absent as well. After all insulation is applied seal all joints as best you can and paint walls & ceiling with three coats of an oil base paint. This will help prevent moisture from entering the wall cavity. Insulating the attic will require you to ventilate this area via eave soffit or gable vents and you will need to make an access to the attic. Best of luck.

VA

02-23-02, 04:39 AM   #3  
Herm,
To answer your first question, garages aren't normally insulated because they aren't heated.
If there is no living space above the garage it's a good time to put in some retractable stairs and create some additional storage space.
fred

IL

02-24-02, 07:17 AM   #4  
Originally posted by fewalt
To answer your first question, garages aren't normally insulated because they aren't heated.
I realize that garages are not normally insulated, but are they normally drywalled (taped, sanded and evertything)?

VA

02-24-02, 07:56 AM   #5  
Hi Herm,
I guess your builder opted to make a more desirable and cleaner garage area. Go with the blown in insulation or you could apply the foam paneling with a vapor barrier.
When you consider the heating options, select a flameless heat source if you plan on doing alot woodworking, especially sanding.
good luck,
fred

02-24-02, 07:36 PM   #6  
You must have an attached garage.....that's why it's drywalled and taped....The drywall provides a one hour fire barrier between the garage and the rest of your home....

Visiting Guest

02-26-02, 09:13 AM   #7  
gubs18
Fred,
if you install foam panel over drywall, don't you have to drywall again, since the foam panel is fairly combustable?
-Lou

VA

02-26-02, 07:47 PM   #8  
gubs18,
The best solution is, of course, blown in insulation. Hem wants to insulate for a workshop. He can hang pink stuff if he wants to w/o re drywalling unless some local code says his garage has to be finished with drywall.
fred

Search this Thread