Insulation under a raised foundation home

Old 02-15-02, 11:07 PM
Lynndee
Visiting Guest
Insulation under a raised foundation home

My house was built in 1939 in Burbank, CA. I have no insulation under the house which has a raised foundation. The cold temperatures are causing my wood floors to contract and expand. Under the house the ground is a very fine sandy consistancy. Does anyone have a suggestion of what type of isulation, vapor barrier etc I should install. The subloor is made of 1 X4's that go diagonally over the joists and have gaps between them. I have all kinds of air flowing in my house. I can feel the breeze! I would appreciate any info!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-02, 03:50 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here are two insulation options. Rigid poystyrene insulation cut to fit snug between the floor joists. It will act as its own vapour barrier. Caulk at the edges to make it air tight.

A poly vapour barrier under the floor, batt insulation, an air barrier such as tyvek to keep dust out of the insulation and allow moisture to escape from the insulation.

In both cases you may want to find out what your local code requirements are for minimal insulation values. You also should lay down a 6ml. poly sheet on the dirt floor. This will keep ground moisture from entering the crawl space. The crawl space should be ventillated, A one square inch opening for every 300 square inches of floor area

Old 02-23-02, 09:44 AM
Lynndee
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the info! Can I put the poly sheet down first? or does it not matter? And should the plastic be attached so it won't move and seal the dirt in under it? Sorry if these seem like amatuer questions, but I have never done this and I know there are always little tricks and ways of doing things that make it easier and better.

Thanks Again,

Old 02-23-02, 04:50 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leave putting the poly on the floor to the last as it could be damaged while you are insulating the floor above. Lap the seams of the poly about 4-6" then spread some sand over the seams to weigh them down. If you will be accessing the crawl space on a regular basis or using it for storage, lay down some plywood in the traffic and storage area