Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

freezing kitchen cabinets

Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 09:55 PM   #1  
learning2do
freezing kitchen cabinets

Bought a 1906 drafty wood frame house. The kitchen was re-done in 1950s and no insulation was added. The cabinets serve almost as well as refrigerators as they do for dish storage and cold drafts emerge from cabinets when doors are opened and from the space under cabinets.

Our own kitchen upgrade is many years away for financial reasons. I'm thinking of placing rigid foam insulation panels at backs of cabinets on exterior walls.

Is there a better way, short of a new kitchen?

Any vapor barrier issues I need to address when doing this?

Can I use an adhesive to keep insulation board on wall surface (semi-gloss latex painted) or do I need nails or tacks? If so, which adhesive? Can I paint the insulation board or do I need to cover with sheetrock or other product?

Can I safely slide insulation behind dishwasher mounted to countertop? Any electrical problems which might be caused?

Any other tips??

Thanks much

Sponsored Links

03-05-02, 07:21 PM   #2  
Your problem is obviously not the cabinets but lack of insulation in the exterior walls. Adding the insulation on the interior of the cabinets and where you suggest is not a good idea and certainly a waste of your money when you do get around to your kitchen reno.
Pull the cabinets off the wall and insulate & finish the walls properly then re hang the cabinets

Search this Thread