Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blowing cullulose insualtion in walls and attic

02-28-02, 01:09 PM   #1  
Blowing cullulose insualtion in walls and attic

I am looking at blowing in cullulose insulation into my attic and if possible walls. In the attic I have many wires running where I want to insulate. Do they need to be covered or protected (as I am told that heat producing things like light fixtures need be)? If so, how? (Plastic tubes?)
I would also like to blow cellulose into the walls. This is as much for soundproofing as insulation- I live right next to a freeway. If blowing into the walls, how again do you deal with wires and outlets inside the walls that would produce heat and be a fire hazzard?

Sponsored Links

NJ

02-28-02, 02:43 PM   #2  
Any professional contractor will explain how he intends to deal with your concerns before insulating. The only time wiring becomes a problem with blown in insulation, is when you have knob and tube wiring. The contractor when inspecting the site to give you an estimate, will point out the wiring to you if present.

Cellulose is treated with chemicals that make it flame retardent. And for a professional, it's not difficult to do walls. One of the methods they use in doing walls is known as dense packing.

Your concern with fixtures has to do with air sealing. One of the contributing factors with moisture in insulation is air leakage from the home into the insulation, like through a ceiling fixture.

More and more contractors and people are becoming aware of this fact. Not only that it may become a moisture problem, it has been proven that air leakage can reduce the effectiveness of the insulation by as much as 40%. Unfortunately, sometimes the informatiion get distorted as it gets sent from one person to another.

Search this Thread