Insulating a Building?

Old 03-03-02, 01:37 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Insulating a Building?

I'm planning to build a 30'x40' Shop. I plan to be in it year-round, so I want it insulated to save on heating and cooling costs. I already have the concrete slab poured, and I'm getting ready to start framing. Any helpful advice or tips on insulating my shop would be greatly appreciated.

After I get the walls framed up, I plan to use 4'x8' sheets of Siding on the outside, Fiberglass bats between the studs, and drywall on the inside wall. Do I need anything under the Siding or just nail it to the studs? Any kind of vapor barrier or wrap? If I used 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam under the Siding instead, could I eliminate the fiberglass insulation? I plan to use an air conditioner to cool the shop, and a wood heater in the Winter or electric heat when it's not cold enough for a fire. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-02, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forget the styrofoam. It has a very low R value. If your going to nail your siding directly to the studs, I would first wrap your building with TYVAK. It will cut the wind, drafts, and etc. Then insulate with batts. I did that to my shop except I put OSB board on first then the siding. I also line the inside with OSB board.
Good Luck