Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

stryofoam under plywood?

Visiting Guest

03-07-02, 04:54 PM   #1  
rusty_nail
stryofoam under plywood?

I'm renovating an old house with a crawlspace floor. The floor has 1X6 boards over the joists. I want to put 1" t & g stryofoam over the boards and then 3/4" t & g plywood over the stryofoam.
I plan on glueing both the foam and the plywood, and using 4&1/2" screws through the plywood, foam, boards and into the joists.
Any problem with this? Will the floor have enough lateral stability with the foam sandwiched between the boards and plywood?
Is the stryofoam rodent resistant?

Sponsored Links

NJ

03-15-02, 08:35 AM   #2  
The styrofoam boards may not be stable enough if this application. Compressed cellulose boards would be. The chemicals used in cellulose not only make it flame resistant but also make it insect, moisture, odor and fungi resistant too.

I've seen these boards installed in new homes instead of sheet rock. I've also seen them at trade exhibitions for environmentally friendly products. I have never used them and don't know where to get them. Perhaps Insulman knows, he appears to be well informed on products. You may want to ask him.

Search this Thread