Drafty House

Old 03-14-02, 06:45 PM
dynaglide
Visiting Guest
Question my old house has drafts

I just remodeled a 22 year old home. The 4 ton heat/air unit is on a true vaulted roof, I'ts 3 years old. After putting in energy saving lights, and new R-38 in the attic this old 2 story still has issues.

The registers pump out the heat near the inside intake, but upstairs and down, the registers can hardly keep up with a trickel of air.

Then when the heater is off and you stand underneath the intake register you can feel a light, but steady cold breeze.

Is there a do it your self way to cheak for duct seals or air-tightness without having to hire some $55.00 hour HVAC guy just to tell me my ducts are loose ???

Any help out there??
============
Moderator Note:
Since there are other issues that may need attention and correcting to further resolve the drafty conditions and you already have the answer to the heater problem, I moved you topic to the insulation forum.

Doing so offers you ideas & suggestions for insulating the home.

Regards & Good Luck, Heating & Cooling Forum Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technicians.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-15-02 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-02, 02:51 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
So I'll tell you for free. You got ducting problems. It's a search and destroy type thing. You'll have to check connections, gaps, etc. on all your duct work, supplies, and returns. Good luck and 55p/hr is cheap.

Old 03-15-02, 08:40 PM
You can go to http://www.resercon.com/Low.html you have what is known as a low velocity system and it explains how your system works. It also discusses leaky ductwork and how to seal them.

Search this Thread