Basement Insulation

Old 03-19-02, 10:19 AM
Mike84
Visiting Guest
Basement Insulation

Being winter and noticing how cold my tile and wood floors are I crawled under my house this past weekend. It ends up that I have a poured cement foundation with about 4 feet of space from floor to ceiling. I am looking to put insulation in the ceiling joists and around the peremeter where the foundation attaches to house. The entry to under the house small.

I am aware of the pink insulation I could install but that would put me a few buddies on our backs stapling for hours. Is there any other way to insulate this? Can I use sprays for the ceiling?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. By the way I live in Freeport Long Island on a canal.

Thanks a million.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-02, 09:14 AM
BSB
If the concrete is semi smooth you could save some back wear and tear by getting a few mechanics creepers and then just roll around. Two should be able to knock out the job in 2 hours or so?

Brian

Old 03-26-02, 09:25 AM
Mike84
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your suggestion. We finished the Job. Took about 3 hours 3 guys and I used r30 with Kraft Back. Also foamed up were the foundation meets the house. Noticable difference. I also used the metal rods that press up between the joists rather then Staple Gun.

Old 03-26-02, 02:24 PM
If you're stapling the insulation to the floor joist, you're more than likely putting it on wrong. The kraft or foil paper should touch the warm side, which is your floor. The way floor insulation like yours is installed is usually with joist hanger. They look like metal rods that are sharp at each end and longer than the distance between the floor joists. Push the insulation up between the joists with the vapor barrier facing upwards. Then every 3 feet take one of the rods and push it under the insulation. Don't compress the insulation. The sharp points on the rod will dig into the joists and hold the insulation up. A lot easier than stapling and faster too.