To cover or not to cover

Old 03-26-02, 09:00 AM
BSB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To cover or not to cover

Greetings all,

I know that faced insulation needs to be covered or only leaving the unfaced side exposed for fire safty reasons. But the insulation job in my floor joist (above garage) is pathetic to say the least. I think the contractor hired a one legged, one armed blind man to install the stuff.
I was thinking of adding a second cross layer for extra protection from heat and cold from the garge, can you install poly covered insulation with out covering it? or should I just install unfaced stuff?

btw---the ceiling of the garage cannot be finished. to many pipes, wires and ventilation running across the joist, rather then through.

Thanks

Brian.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-02, 10:17 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Hi

Ive seen dozens of garages where faced insulation is left exposed.. but it really shouldnt be!

My concern would be anytime you work in the garage you would get alot of dust from the insulation from compressors any sort of air moving equipment...

I dont think rigid insulation needs to be covered so you might consider that

But as for not being able to finish the ceiling... Have you considered a "drop ceiling" using metal track and 2x2 or 2x4 panels.. this stuff is very flame resistant and also makes for a more attractive and finished space.. The hanging method of installation allows it to be dropped lower than any pipes or wiring in the way... although cut outs sometimes have to be made for garage door tracks and openers... its not overly expensive.. just a thought...it allows full access in the future for repairs or anything to overhead piping ductwork water lines shut offs etc

Hope this helps---josh