Boiler and Pipe Insulation Material

Old 03-27-02, 03:56 AM
LonnieJoy
Visiting Guest
Question Boiler and Pipe Insulation Material

About 5 years ago I used to purchase a powder mix for making a boiler and pipe lagging insulation. The mix had the texture of oatmeal and then hardened to a firm base like concrete. I could apply this material up to 4 inches thick, that is the maxium that I have used, could probably go much thicker as the material was really flexible to apply and strong when dried. The actual hardened material is very light, when torn or chipped off, and reminded me of the old asbestos lagging the Navy and other industrial units used in years past. The local hardware no longer carries the product and for the life of me I cannot remember the name, let alone what it was called. I have searched the web and no luck in even coming close.

Any help in finding this material or a suitable replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Lonnie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-02, 11:53 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Dont know what that product was ..but

if you are looking to insulate piping either hot or cold

there are two types of foam based pipe wrap

Open cell ..which feels light and airy in your hand and is relatively cheap R- 1.9 or so

Closed cell.. which feels more rubbery and smooth and costs about 3 -4 times as much R 3.4

both of these can be had in self adhesive versions.. you simply cut to length and then slip over the pipe.. peel off the adhesive strip and press together and it will stay stuck and in place

I think those are approximate R values but its been awhile so not sure 100%.

Hope this helps---Josh