Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

protecting second floor from oli burner heat from below?

04-02-02, 08:46 AM   #1  
protecting second floor from oli burner heat from below?

I am in the process of installing wood flooring in our master bedroom and our walk-in closet. The rooms are on the second story, with the closet directly over the room that houses our oil burner (baseboard heat). The closet has always been the warmest room in our house.

The subfloor in the closet is very dry and brittle. I assume that the rising heat has dried the wood out over the years (about 30). I am going to replace the closet subfloor this weekend with a good exterior grade plywood.

How do I properly protect the new subfloor (and flooring that will eventually sit on top of it) from the drying heat of our oil burner? Is there some special insulation specially suited for this?

thanks

Sponsored Links

04-04-02, 07:01 AM   #2  
I found an answer to my own question at the flooring manufacturer's website. Except below:

"Protect flooring from excessive heat. Flooring installed over a heating plant or un-insulated heating ducts may develop cracks unless protection from the heat is provided. Use a double layer of 15 lb., or a single layer of 30 lb. asphalt felt/building paper, or " standard insulation board between joists under the flooring in these areas. Over a heating plant the insulation used should be non-flammable."

If anyone has other thoughts, please post them.

chris
Seek and ye shall find.

Search this Thread