unheated basement insulation

Old 04-03-02, 11:43 AM
jethro796
Visiting Guest
unheated basement insulation

I have an unheated basement in a house built in 1910. The walls are stone, approximately 2 feet thick. The house is located near Ottawa, Canada (very cold winters). I need to insulate the basement in order that the main floor is warmer and the pipes are less likely to freeze in the winter. I am going to vapour barrier the ceiling of the basement and then fiberglass held up by strapping or wire. Should I insulate the foundation walls? If so, how? Any input would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-02, 05:30 PM
NorthInsulator
Visiting Guest
I have an unheated basement in a house built in 1910. The walls are stone, approximately 2 feet thick. The house is located near Ottawa, Canada (very cold winters). I need to insulate the basement in order that the main floor is warmer and the pipes are less likely to freeze in the winter. I am going to vapour barrier the ceiling of the basement and then fiberglass held up by strapping or wire. Should I insulate the foundation walls? If so, how? Any input would be appreciated.

several options are available here but some more input is needed

1. where are the water pipes located ?
a. at the outside band joist
b. in contact with the concrete foundation
c. in an " outside wall cavity "
c. in the basement area itself

2. location of heating unit

3. separating the " cold from the warm" is the general idea good idea on doing the ceiling BUT refer to # 1 question

Insulating the foundation walls is probably your best option
with a large area of the foundation exposed it is almost mandatory

PKR laminated R-10 fastened to the foundation with " mollys " and insulating the band joists would probably serve you good enough

but try doing the band joists first then go from there

if the pipes are in the basement area itself I wouldnt advise doing the ceiling

You would be separating the heat you need to keep them unfrozen at a higher outside temperature

IE: pipes freeze at - 10 C before install

pipes freeze at -2 C after install

Good Luck

Old 04-04-02, 05:18 AM
jethro796
Visiting Guest
Thanks north insulator.
There is NO central heating...only airtight woodstove and electric baseboard backup.
The water pipes enter the house from the well near the footings. I have installed an electric pipe warmer around them that has worked to keep them unfrozen to the water pump/tank.
The water pipes run in the basement area itself in a joist cavity through the center of the basement then upstairs.