Removing Old Insulation

Old 05-01-02, 12:53 PM
TerryW
Visiting Guest
Question Removing Old Insulation

I am in the process of remodling my dining room. The ceiling was made up of ceiling tiles attached to boards which were attaced to the ceiling joists. The insulation is stapled to the bottom of the ceiling joists and I want to remove it all. The question is how do I do this? The insulation is realy old fiberglass covered with black paper which is crispy from age and rips realy easy. What a mess!
I thought maybe I'd get a shop vac and remove it or put a bit plastic sheet on the floor and just rip it down. I would wear a mask of course. Do you have any ideas how to remove this old insulation?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-02, 07:28 PM
IJL
Visiting Guest
The shop vac will probably help you after you've ripped it down. Make sure you seal off other rooms ( ie. plastic barriers) before you begin. I had similar "old crispy insulation" in the attic and it gets disturbed and into the air very easily. Wear a good mask. Good Luck!

Old 05-02-02, 06:45 AM
TerryW
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, now comes the work.

Old 05-06-02, 08:42 PM
Protective clothes

Go to an industrial supply (or order online, McMaster-Carr has no minimum order) and buy some Tyvek coveralls with sewn on booties and hood. They're used for HazMat work. The cheap ones are about $6 each in boxes of 5. Wear some light clothing and put the coverall over your clothes and boots. Duct tape some yellow kitchen gloves to your sleeves, put on an N-95 mask and wear glasses or goggles to keep the hood and debris out of your eyes. Pick a cold morning to work, 40F or lower is ideal--you'll be plenty hot because the suit is plastic and doesn't breathe. (Drink water before you start, and pee too so you don't have to rip open the suit for a long time).

When you leave the work room, step into a plastic trash bag and peel everything (mask too, don't reuse it) into the bag and seal it. You'll be soaking wet but completely itch free. I'll never do it any other way again.

Old 05-07-02, 08:23 AM
TerryW
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a good idea

The protective clothing etc. sounds like a good idea.
Anything to keep from itching!

Thanks for the reply,