Insulation

Old 05-29-02, 04:22 PM
TMWJ
Visiting Guest
Insulation

I'm in the process of remodelling my home which is a single story modular, two halves put together on a foundation. I've removed some of the interior walls and have found small nest in the insulation in the attic and walls. I was going to reuse the insulation and replace sections that were matted or torn up. Is it okay to reuse the old insulation or should I bite the bullet with the added cost and use all new insulation.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 05:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using old insulation

You did not indicate the type of nests, but animals nesting in insulation pose health problems, especially for allergy sufferers, from mites and animal waste. Care should be taken when handling affected insulation. Wear a dust mask and rubber gloves.

"An uncommon biological exposure can occur with the infestation of wild animals in a home or apartment. Examples are the roosting of pigeons in the attic, squirrels nesting in eaves, and field mice. Occasionally allergic symptoms may be experienced by the occupants. In addition, diseases may sometimes be associated with feces (i.e., Hanta virus); care should be taken whenever significant amounts are to be cleaned up." Bioaerosols. IndoorAirTest.com. Retrieved 29 May 2002. http://www.indoorairtest.com/iaqpollbackground.html