attic and roof insulation

Old 05-30-02, 05:58 AM
Ollie
Visiting Guest
Question attic and roof insulation

I am currently putting flooring into my attic and am hoping to cover the bare underside of the roof with something, and add a little insulation. This isnt going to be a loft conversion, but I'd lke to make it pretty comfortable. What materials should I use (given that i have to get them through a loft hatch) and what could i o about possible condensation? (British climate, house less than 10 yrs old, conventional /\ shaped roof)

thanks anyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-02, 09:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulating attic

It is not recommended that you insulate the attic roof.

"Sometimes people insulate their roof and the insulation falls down. You should not insulate the roof of an unfinished attic. The reason the insulation falls down is the same reason why the insulation falls down in a crawl space when the vapor barrier is installed incorrectly. The difference is in the crawl space the heat comes from the floor above the crawl space. In the attic the heat comes from the heat of the roof during the summer. As the roof gets hot the heat goes through the insulation, the moisture get trapped due to the vapor barrier. It makes the insulation heavy and it falls down. The other reason for not insulating roofs is that instead of the heat dissipating from the roof the insulation will retain it and bake your shingles." Ventilation. Resercon Co. Retrieved 30 May 2002. http://www.resercon.com/Ventilation.html

Learn more about Residential Energy Conservation by F. R. Lazaro at http://www.resercon.com