Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

condo attic -- insulating & placing radiant barrier?

condo attic -- insulating & placing radiant barrier?

Old 05-28-02, 10:36 PM
den246
Visiting Guest
Angry condo attic -- insulating & placing radiant barrier?

I wanted to upgrade my insulation of my condo, which was built as an apartment complex in 1968---- I was told by Home Depot that the new faced R-30 goes vapor barrier side down after the old (mineral wool?) insulation has been removed---then after the new is laid down, the old stuff can be thrown on top as additional insulation. I tested the old stuff, it will not burn.

I have also been stapling a radiant barrier to the underside of the roof, which I have read may help even more than additional insulation being added in a hot climate like this.

I received a notice from the homeowner's association that I MUST IMMEDIATELY remove all electrical and my 2 Pattons fans from the attic---they said I can not work up there, that I do not own my attic, but it is "common grounds" -- supposedly their insurance would not cover any problems, nor would mine according to them.

I am waiting for a reply from AAA, my homeowners policy --- is there insurance that a condo owner can easily pick up for such a project? For the electrical, I installed a new GFI outlet, tested it according to the manufacturer (Leviton), tested to make sure it was grounded, have it plugged into a surge protector, then out to a few 60 watt lights (new work lights) and my two fans, which have their own internal circuit breakers as well.

This has got to be a common problem -- do we need to pass more laws so that condo owners can work on their attics and etc, without having to hire it done?

Old 05-29-02, 05:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Insulating attic

Check with your local building code authorities as to requirements. Building codes tend to vary from area to area in regard to permits, construction requirements, and inspections. Homeowner Association requirements tend to take precedence. Check your Association Agreement. Different requirements tend to apply to multi-family structures.

For helpful info regarding insulation and vapor barriers click:

http://www.resercon.com/Insulation.html

Old 06-04-02, 08:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Condo

Are you the only one that has access to this attic space ? and if u are looking for insurance to cover this...... you should look at getting HO-6 and you can add additional coverage to take care of this. What state are you in ? I live in a condo and also am on the Board of Directors It all depends on what your bylaws say. and depends on the interprettions of them

Old 06-04-02, 11:52 PM
den246
Visiting Guest
Talking radiant barrier/adding insulation to condo

The attic is common between my neighbor and I, however, the association can have workmen up there. I have to go before the board Monday with a written proposal of what I want to do. One point I have brought up is that these attics have apparently been neglec ted for many years----outer insulation on aluminum main wiring bitten into (wires inside still insulated though), large old bird nests up there, broken vents, stovepipe not going through ceiling, rafter metal plate (attaches rafter to rafter) spread out on one side.

Their rep has been saying that it sounds like I must hire it done---due to insurance. My insurance agent (AAA) said to check and see what the association's main policy covers first.

Dennis

Thanks for the help, this is a really hot part of San Diego county!

den246@earthlink.net

Old 06-05-02, 05:09 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Insulating condo attic

You should have a copy of the Association's Policies for your own reference. If the Association will not allow you to make repairs, then who is responsible for doing so and at whose expense? You might want to check with the local authorities regarding building codes, permits, and inspections. In addition, you might get the building inspector to inspect the property regarding safety issues and codes. If the attic is a shared space, is your neighbor participating in these repairs. Addressing safety issues in one part of the shared attic will not resolve those in the other part. Different codes govern multi-family housing. Outdated wiring should be replaced in the whole structure. An electrical fire in your neighbor's condo won't save your property. Make sure you have plenty of insurance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: