Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Walls

SteveMc's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

06-19-02, 09:42 AM   #1  
Old Walls

Hi, I am renovating a room in a 100 year old house and have removed the inside wall coverings down to the wood plank walls.
I would like to beef up the insulation and am not sure if what I am planning is correct. Currently from the outside in, this is what I have. Vinyl siding, 1 inch rigid insulation, 1 inch planks(outside wall), 4 inch space with wood chips, 1 inch planks (inside wall).
I would like to put 1 inch rigid insulation up on the inside wall. Will that work and should I also put vapour barrier between it and the new drywall.

Sponsored Links
resercon's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,873

06-20-02, 06:42 PM   #2  
Yes, you could use 1 inch rigid board insulation that has foil on at least one side that is rated as a vapor barrier. To qualify as a vapor barrier it must be rated as 1 Perm or less. In my work I use .1 Perm rating. Sometimes on the labeling they use W.C. instead of Perm. The W.C. stands for water column.

You should also use a vapor barrier tape and use it to seal where all the pieces of the boards meet.

Search this Thread