Insulation w/ vapor barrier installed upside down

Old 06-21-02, 07:32 AM
Insulation w/ vapor barrier installed upside down

I am in the process of purchasing a home with fairly new 5 yrs. +/- extension where there is a crawl space of approx. 24" where the floor insulation is insalled upside down as the foil vapor barrier is facing down towards the ground. Do you suggest that i remove all the insullation or attempt to remove/cut the foil backing and reinsulate the space or possibly add additional insulation rigid type at the floor and wall areas of the crawl space? I anticipate that leaving the foil will eventually cause dry rot and or retention of moisture at the floor joists etc. (I live in the NY area)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-02, 11:26 AM
jpeskoff
Visiting Guest
Chances are it doesn't matter, depending upon what the floor is on the other side.

If the floor on the other side is wood then vapor may go through it and condense on the foil (not good). However, if the upstairs is a kitchen and it has vinyl or ceramic tile or any non-porous material, no vapors will be going through in the first place.

However, it is a relatively easy job to flip the insulation around since you have access on the crawl space side. So, you may want to do it anyway.

Old 06-23-02, 01:52 PM
Vapor barriers and insulation

http://www.resercon.com/Insulation.html