betw. kitchen and bathroom: vapor barrier?

Old 06-24-02, 07:37 PM
Hickory
Visiting Guest
betw. kitchen and bathroom: vapor barrier?

I have a 50-year-old log cabin with 2x4 framing, and knotty pine paneling which has shrunk with age. There are visible gaps between the knotty pine boards.

My bathroom is next to my kitchen. I'd like to put sound insulation in the walls of the bathroom, but I have two questions:

1. Should I put a vapor barrier in also? Should the barrier face the bathroom or the kitchen, or both? The bathroom walls will be tiled halfway up, then covered with the same knotty pine paneling.

2. If I use fiberglass insulation, I want to contain the fibers and keep them from escaping through the loose pine paneling. That is one reason I was thinking of a vapor barrier on both sides. If a vapor barrier on both sides is inadvisable, how should I contain the fiberglass -- or is there another material for sound insulation?

Thanks for your help!

-- H

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-02, 09:41 AM
Vapor barrier are used to prevent moisture inside insulation when it is applied between a conditioned space and an unconditioned space, this is because of dew point temperature is likely to be reached inside the insulation.

Since you want to use the insulation as a sound barrier between the kitchen and the bathroom, which are two conditioned spaces, it doesn't matter if you use a vapor barrier or not. Dew point temperature is highly unlikely to be reached between two conditioned spaces. If the fiberglass bothers you, there is a product that is wrapped in plastic. I do believe Manville makes the product.

Old 06-25-02, 10:03 AM
Hickory
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much. Very sensible advice.

-- H