Eave ventilation

Old 06-26-02, 03:11 AM
Dick Mooney
Visiting Guest
Eave ventilation

Hi. I need to find a way to vent an attic on an older house. The roof boards and the top wall beam (old farmhouse) virtually touch at the eaves preventing any airflow from the soffit. The only solution I could come up with was to drill 3/4" or 1" holes through the corner of the beam that almost touches the roof boards. I don't think I could get my sawsall in close enough to cut notches. If anybody has abetter or different fix I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks
Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-02, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dick,

I would suggest just installing a roof vent/fan.

fred

Old 06-26-02, 09:30 AM
Dick Mooney
Visiting Guest
Just putting an exhaust vent in at the peak won't work because with the eaves blocked there isn't anyplace to draw the air from. If I don't get the air flowing from the eaves and out the ridge the attic will stay hot.

Dick

Old 06-26-02, 11:34 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What you have isn't unusually, especially with older homes. If you were to drill holes in that area, chances are the eaves would also be solid wood and you would have to drill holes there also. Sounds like too much work for me or for you.

Hopefully you have a gable roof and not a hip roof, but you can accomplish the same for both. Your gable looks like a triangle on the sides of the attic, one high point and two lower points. You install vents in the lower points of the gable and that should provide you with enough free venting area.

If you have a hip roof, you can install roof vents toward the bottom of the roof. The problem with that is ice damming, so you cannot put it too close to the gutters.

Old 06-26-02, 01:49 PM
ick,

The 'poor eave vent' problem doesn't account for the majority of heat in your attic. Your problem can be identified by simply stating the color of your roof shingles. I guarantee they are not white.
If you had a single fan with a gable vent on each end of the house you wouldn't be too concerned with the eaves.
A coupe vents and a thermo-controlled fan will do wonders.

fred

Old 06-27-02, 03:02 AM
Dick Mooney
Visiting Guest
Actually the shingles are white now but will be medium brown after I reroof. I don't really want to use a powervent. I would rather have a natural airflow (eave to ridge) that would remove heat in the summer and moisture in the winter.

Dick

Old 07-20-02, 01:17 PM
Lightbulb Here's what I did

Pull the trim boards going between the rafters and replace with 1/4" wire mesh.

On my house I cut the trim board enough allow a clear opening and put it back on the house.

For exhaust I used 2 turbines, but you may need more depending on size of your house, normally 1 for every 600 sq ft of attic is the rule.

So far so good, reduced attic temps from 140F (no vents at all) to 110F on a 90 degree day and the house doesnt have heat "radiating" from the ceiling till 10pm

Old 07-20-02, 08:45 PM
T
Old 07-30-02, 02:34 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

You can install a Cor-A-Vent. com strip along the eave section. You remove the facia board install the vent strip and reattach the facia strip. While your reroofing install a ridge vent, eave vents without a ridge vent are about useless.

The cor-a-vent is the best I have seen for this retrofit.

You might want to install a radiant barrier over your existing attic insulation. That could save you considerabally on a/c cost, especially with a brown roof.

Thank you for considering my opinion.