vapor/air barrier

Old 07-10-02, 09:25 AM
zoledude
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up vapor/air barrier

I have a 12' x 20' wood plank floor that was constructed on concrete slab. The room was built as a three seasons room, but I converted it into a permanent enclosed living space. 2x 4 stringers were laid directly on the slab and then deck boards were nailed down. I am going to put carpet over this floor. What type of material should I use to lay down as a vapor and air barrier atop the deck boards first? I get a lot of cold air blowing up through these boards in the winter. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-02, 05:53 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can use any plastic as long as it's 6 mil or more. You can also use a floor filler that you can buy at any tool rental store. Spread it on the floor to fill all the gaps and I would recommend you paint the floor after it dries. Either one will work.

The problem I have with this is the volume of air in the room remains constant. That means if air is coming into the room, the same volume of air is leaving. It's been my experience in rooms like these that recess lights in the room or an air conditioner allows air to leave the room in the winter. Which causes what you're experiencing with the floor.

Old 07-30-02, 02:44 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Geetings,

In this type of construction a 2 Layer radiant barrier will work best. Since it is stapled in there is less openings for air to pass thru. That doesn't mean you shouldn't look the the source of the air flow and block it off. Canned foam is a good choice for this.
You also want to caulk with silicon the crack where the outside walls sit on the sub floor. This can be a major source of air infiltration.

The radiant barrier will not condensate moisture either so you don't have worry about your sleeprs rotting out. You won't have any mold problems either. This matterial will also help keep your floor warmer too.

Thank you for considering my opinion.