cold second floor bedroom

Old 07-10-02, 01:53 PM
cold
Visiting Guest
cold second floor bedroom

I have a second floor bedroom over a double garage that is too cold for my kids! The room has a vaulted ceiling and no attic access. I know replacing the builders (cheap) grade windows will help, but what else can be done to insulate the room?

Old 07-11-02, 04:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow, I can't imagine this being a problem in all this heat!

Replacing the windows will only help marginally. Somehow,you need to insulate the walls, foor and ceilings over an unheated garage.
fred

Old 07-29-02, 08:46 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Geetings,

And I'll bet you have three exposed walls besides the floor and ceiling.

Here we go.

First of all you are going to have to install radiant barrier (RB) insulation. Any thing less and you'll be wasting your time and money. If you are doing it yourself you will find RBs easy to work with.

Ceiling first. I'm doing my own vaulted ceiling right now with this method. Cut 1/2" x 4x 4 osb or plywood squares. Screw these to the joists (thru the drywall) with 2 #8 1 1/2" drywall screws, 24" on center. Attach a single layer (non perforated) RB to the plates. You will have an air space between the RB and the dry wall. Next attach heavy 7/8" steel furring strips to the plates with 1 1/2" #8 screws into the joist. Install drywall and paint.

If you have siding the best thing to do is remove the siding, including the corner pcs. and install a perforated RB to the out side and reinstall the siding. Be sure you are covering the rim board because you are probably getting a ton of air through there. If you can not do the out side paint the inside of the exterior wall with a RB paint. Remove the wall trim at floor and caulk wall to floor crack with silicon sealant.

If the garage ceiling is not covered install a type 3 (2 layer) RB in the ceiling. If drywalled install as above for upstairs ceiling.

The RB is about 95% efficient as compared to about 10% for the FG. This is one good reason you have the problem.

This is project that will require more detailed info latter. If you wish to follow this path, let me know.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: