No Insulation Under House, Is It Worth It?

Old 07-20-02, 08:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question No Insulation Under House, Is It Worth It?

We just moved into the home we are now living in and guess what we have discovered? There is no, zero, insulation under the house. The crawlspace is 4 feet high in most places. Our electric bill is out of sight with last months over $300. If we insulate will this help considerably?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-02, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Where do you live ??

Here in the southern states it makes little difference, and helps NONE in summertime.

Best thing to do is look for drafts and buy some caulk/weatherstripping..
Biggest bang for your $$$
You would be surprised how many air leaks a house has, I spent about $50.00 in some weather stripping/caulk/foam sealant/one roll of insulation to fill large gaps (like around plumbing fixtures) in my 1930 house.

Got all of my investment back in ONE MONTH, not to mention the reduced drafts in the windy winters of Oklahoma ..

Old 07-29-02, 07:38 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Unless you have alot of hot air entering your crawl space I doubt if that is your problem. Heat energy from the floor is radiating to the earth and that actually pulls heat energy out of the house. Heat energy always moves hot to cold.

There are three main areas that will cause this type of excessive energy usage. Fiber glass or cellulose insulation in the walls and ceiling, coupled with too much glass area for the house(particularlly if facing south) and air infiltration.

Install a 2 layer radiant barrier (RB) over the existing attic insulation. This can save you up to 30% or more on a/c.

Paint the interior side of the exterior walls will relective paint. Another 15%+.

If windows are getting direct sun light install either awnings or install lo e film to the inside of the windows. Curtins won't work because the heat is already in the house. If you have old windows and you plan to replace get wood with aluminum exteriors and lo e glass. Save about 20%.

Top keep the winter bills down you need to install a RB in the crawl space. When you get ready to do that I'll tell you how.

Thank you for considering my opinion.