Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Real Estate, Insurance, Banking, Finances and Investments > Insurance
Reload this Page >

Renters insurance coverage from theft away from home

Renters insurance coverage from theft away from home


Old 07-09-19, 06:50 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Renters insurance coverage from theft away from home

I have a question about renters insurance. I have a policy in Canada that covers me for $80,000 of my property. I was visiting a friend and staying at his place for the night. We came back to his condo after a night out. While out, he met a lady and brought her back to his condo with us. I went to sleep and woke up a few hours later to find that my overnight bag had been taken by this visitor who disappeared from his place! In that overnight bag was my wallet containing several hundred dollars, all my credit cards and ATM cards, my key chain with keys and fobs to 2 vehicles and an assortment of other important keys, and a whole bunch of other things including clothing, new eye glasses, etc etc.

Will I be covered with my renters insurance for this theft? My friend just told me that he spoke with his insurance company and they told him he is not covered for some expensive jewelry he lost in this ordeal because this person had been 'invited' to his condo and it was not a 'break-in.' My losses likely amount to well over $3000 not to mention all the aggravation it has caused. I looked through my renters policy but couldn't find enough detail on this. I am still waiting for the company to get in touch with me. They obviously needed a police report for the claim -- which we filed. Please advise!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 08:07 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 50,954
Likes Received: 155
Welcome to the forums.

Will I be covered with my renters insurance for this theft?
As far as I know and based on personal experience..... no.
Renters insurance only covers your property in the place where you rent to live.

As for the expensive jewelry....... most companies will not cover that unless you had a picture of it and the bill of sale. Even then..... many companies require an additional rider (policy) on expensive items like jewelry.
Old 07-10-19, 08:02 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 2
I was told by the parent company where I bought my insurance that my renters insurance follows me wherever I go. I have been told that in the past because we have relocated a handful of times and I have been told that it even covers damaged or lost goods when relocating.
Old 07-10-19, 09:10 AM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 4,208
Likes Received: 22
Well it might follow you to a new place that you're renting, but not to a place you're visiting.
As for cash, even if it were covered, you don't get back more than $100 regardless of how much was stolen because there's no proof as to what was stolen. PJ is right about expensive jewelry. You'd have to tell them you have it ahead of time and there would likely be an upcharge for insuring it. Hope you called all your credit card and debit card banks and also your car insurance regarding the fob's. You probably should change the locks wherever you live since they also know now.
Why were you carrying all this stuff just for one night anyway?
Old 07-10-19, 10:06 AM
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,164
Likes Received: 11
First thing I'd do is to get a police report, THEN submit that to his and your insurance companies.

Second is get a copy of your actual signed copy of the insurance policy.

Third is get a copy of the insurance policy from the insurance company.

Most insurance companies have an arbitration process when there is a dispute about whether there IS coverage.

I can see an argument that visiting friends or family is comparable to "renting" the short term living space as long as you bring a bottle of wine or treat them for food, sometimes courts find "implied goodwill" to apply contract principles to family situations (e.g. the same way that a marriage proposal can be considered as "a contract to marry")

-Disclaimer, I'm an attorney, but I'm not YOUR attorney.
This is discussing general principles, not giving legal advice.
Old 07-10-19, 12:16 PM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 4,208
Likes Received: 22
Even if they do cover him, they still will not pay out more than $100 for the cash. Ask me how I know. As for the other things, I'm guessing you probably also have a deductible. It's most likely $500 and my guess is the other stuff may come close to that. Even if it's more, you still have to deduct the deductible, so less back.
Good luck with your dilemma anyway.
Old 07-11-19, 10:23 AM
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 359
Likes Received: 2
There is a lot of information being put forth here that isn't necessarily correct. All insurance companies are different, and all policies are different. There is no way of knowing exactly what your coverage is, however...

All the companies that I represent cover your stuff wherever it is in the world. So, if your stuff gets stolen out of your home, or your car, or your hotel room, or it falls out of a plane somewhere over the Pacific, you have coverage.

Again, depending on the policy, yes, your policy should cover theft. Sometimes there are limitations, and that varies from policy to policy and company to company, but theft is one of the usual coverages that you should have.

The comment about your friend's policy not covering the theft because the person was invited in sounds extremely bogus to me and I would not believe that for a second. That kind of language is not included in any insurance contract that I have seen.

You may have some limitation for certain items. There is usually always a limitation for cash, as Shadeladie mentioned, but all companies have different limitations so there is no way to say that it is only $100 for cash.

I guess the main point of all this is you can't take our word for it, because it depends on the company you have. Hal_S gives the right advice. Contact your agent and discuss your policy and your claim with them. If you don't have an agent, you probably need one.
marksr, Shadeladie liked this post.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes