Washington Mutual Class Action Lawsuit re: paid-off home in full

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-11, 04:37 PM
Washington Mutual Class Action Lawsuit re: paid-off home in full

Hello, I paid my house off in full in July, 2007. At the pay-off, my loan was owned by Washington Mutual and they received the full pay-off amount. They, WAMU sent me a notorized statement with all pertinent information showing the lien was satisfied. I did not get a 'deed of trust' from them as they said it was mailed directly to my city clerk assessor's office to show there was no further lien on the property. I have since checked by phone and the city assessor's office say that I come to their office and pay to retrieve the actual 'deed of trust' papers. She can only know if she has the true deed in her office if I am willing to pay for the call up of paperwork. The assessor's office person said that the buyer's (title insurance company) of my property would be the one to ask for and collect these papers when the home sells and probably not any sooner. I have no plan(s) to sell my home anytime soon. I have not went any further with trying to obtain proof of pay-off on my home.

However, recently I received a 'Proof of Claim Form' from Washington Mutual. It is a class action lawsuit titled 'Cassese v. Washinton Mutual, Inc.'. I called the question and answer hotline for this lawsuit listed on the paperwork I received and apparently there are questions whether some monies were applied to loan amounts. The recording called out about 4 different named defendents besides Cassese. I 'DO' understand that if there is even the 'hint' of improperties or the slightest question of wrong doing, there will always be long, large, huge lawsuits started.....some with validity, some not. I do know Washington Mutual went bankrupt much later, about early or middle of 2009, after the financial meltdown. Please know, I am not part of this lawsuit other than the class-action particulars. I have my canceled check of the pay-off and the statement of full pay-off with Washington Mutual dated July 28, 2007. Since I have semi-proof of my paid-off property, I have little worry. I am planning to go to my assessor's office and try to obtain the 'deed of trust' for myself, even though it may cost me an amount to get a copy in my hands. My question, do you know of a better way for me to show proof of my paid-off property?

Also, is anyone familiar with this lawsuit, 'Cassese v. Washington Mutual'? I do plan on completing the 'proof of claim form' with my loan number(required) and returning it by the deadline of August 31, 2011. Does anyone see a reason I should not return this form to add myself as a class action participate to this lawsuit? What would you do? Thank you so much for your helpful ways here.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 06:20 PM
WAMU class action lawsuit cont.

I want to add that this class action lawsuit covers the period of January 1, 1998 through September 25, 2008. I paid-off my home loan on July 28, 2007, so I fall within this period. Thank You.

Old 07-05-11, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
The lawsuit apperas to be about the charging of "payoff fees" or similar payoff charges. I did not read the entire suit but you can fine it here: Document 257 :: Cassese et al v. Washington Mutual, Inc et al :: 2:2005cv02724 :: New York Eastern District Court :: US Federal District Courts Cases :: Justia

Also did some checking around and found this:
U.S. judges halts Washington Mutual fraud lawsuit | Reuters

IF you did not get any of these charges then I doubt you qualify.

Old 07-05-11, 08:33 PM
ugh.....I should be napping or chasing grandbabies.

Thank you Tolyn, I requested what the pay-off was in 2007 and it seems about what my statement said was due but I did not compared the two amounts. They could have tacked on several hundreds of dollars or thousands. Who knows? I will look but this kind of stuff just zaps my energy and I am just thankful I have the extra to be cheated on/with. It's just not worth it to me to go chase this stuff. I will find the energy somewhere to dig everything up and compare. It's a dam shame I have to. Thank you so much for the links.

Old 07-06-11, 05:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition, I read the lawsuit and the provisions show $33M (I think) total settlement with $13M to the attorneys. Take the remainder and divide it among the WAMU customers affected, and your settlement will probably be less than $5, so don't get excited.

Old 07-06-11, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Personally whenever I get a class action notice in the mail, it goes straight to the circular file. The attorneys are usually the only real beneficiaries as demonstrated by chandler's numbers IMHO.

Old 07-11-11, 11:30 AM
tealeak, I got the same form in the mail and have now misplaced it.....is there a phone number or some other contact info to obtain a copy?

Old 07-11-11, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Be sure to post back here when it's finally settled; be interesting to hear from an actual involved party what the bottom line was.

Old 07-17-11, 12:39 AM
Willowzmomma, Sorry I am late. The help line for direct questions is 1-877-695-7497. The lawsuit is Cassese v Washington Mutual, Inc. Online it is Cassese v. Washington Mutual, Inc.. The 'Proof of Claim' form has to be in by August 31, 2011. The time period for those involved are loans between January 1, 1998 through September 25, 2008.

the tow guy, I will fill it out and send it in. Can't hurt. I will let you know what I hear.

Old 07-21-11, 11:31 AM
Misplaced class action notice

Originally Posted by willowzmomma View Post
tealeak, I got the same form in the mail and have now misplaced it.....is there a phone number or some other contact info to obtain a copy?
I got the same notice in the mail and cant find it. Does anyone have the 1-800 number or website where you can join in the suit online? Thanks for your help.

Old 07-21-11, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Ummm, look at post #9, right above your post.

Old 07-23-11, 10:54 PM
WAMU Class action lawsuit

I fall with in this period..I paid off my home in full Aug 2008, my loan was owned by Washington Mutual..They received the full pay-off amount. I received the form in the mail about two weeks ago and have misplaced it..How can I get another form sent to me?

Old 07-23-11, 11:17 PM
Contact.. Settlement Administrator..1-866-263-8816..For WAMU class action lawsuit..Good luck!!

Old 07-24-11, 11:22 AM
5 dollars that's it

What about the peoPle that don't mail their stuff in or that have passed away.. No trying to sound harsh just curious does that mean more money for those who sent it in

Old 07-24-11, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's never been a class action suit where the attorney's didn't come away with the lion's share of the settlement. It is by design. Little people stay little, and justify the attorneys existence.

Old 07-25-11, 03:38 PM
I printed the proff of claim form.. off the cassese.washington mutual.Inc website..filled it out; then fax it to 1-866-263-8816

Old 07-25-11, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
No questions being asked...all information is available for reading. 3 yrs from now maybe someone will update us as to the outcome, in the meantime, we don't need lawyers trolling for clients.

Thread closed...

Closed Thread