Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Will termiticide concrete drill holes scare away home buyer?

AZ

11-06-17, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Will termiticide concrete drill holes scare away home buyer?

On another discussion, I talked about drilling holes in concrete garage floor and pads around house for termite prevention. I have not done it yet. The holes are for pumping in termite insecticide.

Could this cause a problem if I want to sell the house one day? The prospective buyer and realtor would question the marks from the filled in concrete drill holes. I just saw a few isolated termite mud tubes. I checked in and out for signs of infestation. I did not see any.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

11-06-17, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)  
It's going to depend on the potential buyer.

I know, not the answer you were seeking....

Super Moderator

AZ

11-06-17, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Wouldn't be an issue for me. Shows that owner was being proactive. Could have been preventative or precautionary. All sales require a termite inspection anyway, so what.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

AZ

11-06-17, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)  
It could be turned into a selling point. Fipronil based termiticide lasts up to 10 years. The new buyer wouldn't have to pay a ton of money to an exterminator or do the grueling work of trenching himself. But yeah, I can see where buyers would question it.

ME

11-06-17, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Now that you know you have to disclose or remain liable for failing to do so. The only better approach would be to pay a professional to do the job and provide a guarantee, one you could pass along. Basically, a buyer would probably be less concerned if a pro did the work as opposed to you. That's a choice you will have to make.

Most important would be making sure the termites are gone.

Bud

AZ

11-06-17, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Yeah. That had crossed my mind also Bud.

VA

11-07-17, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)  
I'm with Bud on this one!
You already know there's termites, a spot DIY treatment is just not going to work.
A real treatment would involve trenching around the foundation, and piers if there is any, drilling into every void in the concrete blocks.
Even a small house would take about 100 gal. to do it right.
Any real pro would go back and clean up around the hole and backfill any visible holes with mortar.
If you do call for a free inspection and they suggest just using a product like the Sentricon system send them down the road.

AZ

11-07-17, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)  
I got the trenching part done. It was hard work. No piers

AZ

12-04-17, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)  
We can consider this discussion closed. Thanks, everyone.

Search this Thread