tree trimming?

Old 04-12-05, 05:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tree trimming?

how do you know when its time to trim back trees in the yard and just how expensive is this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 09:13 PM
Cost of labor and services tend to vary from area to area. Conifers can be pruned any time. Hardwood and flowering trees are best pruned when dormant. Dead branches can be removed at any time.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/ho...ne/prun001.htm

You will also want to hire someone who has been properly trained and certified and knows proper tree pruning techniques. So often I see improperly pruned trees. You will want to see a copy of the contractor's certification and proof of insurance (liability in case he damages your home or property and worker's compensation in case pruner and/or employees are injured on your property. Home owner's insurance usually will not cover these situations.

Old 04-14-05, 07:58 AM
I believe the trees in my yard are maple...and they are indeed beginning to bud. So I assume I should wait until next winter to do this? Should I be concerned about branches that extend over my roof/deck?

Old 04-16-05, 12:18 AM
Late winter or early spring, before bud break, is a good time to prune because callus tissue forms rapidly. You will want to make thinning cuts of the overhanging branches. Thinning cuts remove branches to their points of origin or attachment. When you prune a branch back to another branch, or prune a branch from the trunk, you are thinning. If it is still early spring where you live, you will likely be all right.