New home - no idea how to maintain landscaping!

Old 04-13-05, 04:25 PM
dizzumm
Visiting Guest
New home - no idea how to maintain landscaping!

Hello, all. I'm new here and a new homeowner. We are fortunate to have bought a house with some really nice landscaping, but neither me or my husband have the first clue on how to maintain a lawn, trees, bushes, flowers, etc. We are thinking about calling a landscaper for a consultation to tell us what we have an how to take care of it. Does anyone know if this is something that is done often and, if so, what we should ask for and what a ballpark price might be?

Thanks in advance - any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Anne

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 08:52 PM
Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for help with identification of the plants in your landscape and for recommended care and maintenance. He/she provides free help. If you don't have to work, then your local Dept. of Agriculture may offer the Master Gardening Program which offers wonder classes on all aspects of gardening. The local Garden Club can provide an opportunity for learning more about gardening. There are also some very good books, such as those by Ortho, that can be ordered online or often found at garden and home centers. Local garden centers can also be a good source of information. Take some pictures with you for identification. There are some excellent books at the local library and a wealth of information on the internet. And, you just might be lucky enough to have a neighbor with a green thumb who would like to share gardening knowledge.

Because there are so many different Growing Zones, care and maintenance of plantings and lawns can vary greatly from area to area. Identification of what plants you have is the first step. Once we can identify the plants and your Growing Zone, then gardeners here at DIY can be a wealth of helpful info.