planting a forest

Old 04-15-05, 02:28 PM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
planting a forest

Hello, I was looking at the Arborday.org website. They offer some pretty cheap, but small, trees that would be an economic way to end up with a lot of trees if you're willing to let them grow.
I was wondering if anyone had long term success with their trees. Are they a good deal, or do you get what you pay for?

Hey Mod: This isn't a name drop or an add... I really want to know!

Old 04-15-05, 06:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small trees grow into large trees. I have gotten trees from the Arbor Day group before and found them to be healthy.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-05, 08:30 PM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
Cool! Yah, I don't mind the wait. I've got about 5 acres of old pasture with a pond on it. I watched the sales, and got 12 trees in the 6-8' range at a good price. I can't wait to see what the property will look like with a house and a bunch of happy trees on it.
Is there another tree sales website I should look to as well? I'm all about saving money by spending a little extra time and effort.

Old 04-15-05, 11:40 PM
Once you join The Arbor Society you can purchase lots more of their trees (many varieties) for low prices. They have bigger trees also. I joined this year and most of the trees I received are doing well. If even one dies, I can send them shipping and handling fees and get a whole new order of 10 trees. Good luck with your forest.

Old 04-26-05, 04:19 AM
C
state extension

A friend of mine was going to plant their large yard > 5 acres in trees and she hooked up with the local (or state) extention and got seed money (not a pun) for turning over grass land into forest. There was a program to encourage this type of reforestation (this is Maryland). I don't have the specifics because she is in Iraq but, she got the seedlings thru the extension agency at a very low cost.. even lower than arbor foundation, which I encourage you to join, but just thought I would point out that in some places the state is helping pay for reforestation.

I was surprised that this exists, I guess she and her husband did a little research and everybody benefitted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: