Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

..."gravel rake" (to rake up thinly spreaded gravel on dirt)

Old 04-17-05, 09:32 AM

Hi,
The county made me take out a big chunk of my asphalt front lawn and I was left with an area of gravel. Now they're saying that the gravel needs to be removed also.
I spent the weekend with a metal rake, a shovel, and a wheelbarrow scraping up most of the gravel.

The problem is that the teeth on the metal rake are far apart and so the smaller pieces of gravel don't get raked up. Now the lot is majority dirt but there's still some gravel both resting on top if the dirt and some embedded in the dirt as well,

I'm looking for the best tool to help me scrape up the remaining gravel. I hope my description of the situation was clear,

any ideas?

tks

-MC,

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 09:52 AM
Noods
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem.

There arent many rakes that will help you here. The best thing I found to do is to shovel all the dirt/gravel into a sieve and separate the gravel that way. I ended up making a custom sieve for the task. It is a bit time consuming, but I didnt find an easier solution.

Old 04-17-05, 12:04 PM
You might make a frame and put 1/4" hardware cloth wire mesh over it and shovel the dirt and gravel onto it. The dirt will fall through and the gravel will stay on the mesh so you can pour it off into a wheelbarrow.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-05, 07:02 AM
well that's not good news

what I'll probably do is go over the area one more time with the metal rake then call the county inspector over (i.e. make to mofo work for his tax dollars ) and see if it's "good enough" to pass as "non- impervious".

If so, then great I'm done. If he insists I pick every last piece of gravel out of the dirt then I've no choice but to shovel up the 800 sqft area

thanks for the feedback,

-MC

Old 04-30-05, 09:46 AM
Saddam Hussein never demanded this.

If it's "non- impervious" (to rain runoff) the county wants then what's their problem with gravel?