Looking for climbing vine/flower for full shade

Old 04-17-05, 07:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for climbing vine/flower for full shade

I have a wall of lattice on my garage facing north. I live in the Chicago area which means that the lattice never gets hit with direct sunlight. I am hoping to find a climbing vine/ivy/flower that can thrive in full shade. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 07:13 PM
You might consider wisteria, Lady Banks rose, potato vine, Carolina jessamine, grape, trumpet vine, coral or gold honeysuckle, and climbing roses for perennials. Annuals include morning glory, moon vine, and cypress vine. These annuals can be started from seed.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-05, 09:00 AM
Ivy will grow in full shade but grows slowly.

Many of the others listed above will also struggle in full shade. Roses won't do at all. I don't think morning glory would do much either.

Then again there is sucha thing as "bright shade" where there is enough light bounce to grow some things that need some sun.

Sweet potato vine is an annual that grows quickly even in shade but it must be trained (that is it won't hang on by itself). It comes in bright green and deep purple, the two together look very nice.

You could try Ivy for the long haul with the sweet potato vine to cover for the years until the ivy is established.

Old 04-20-05, 12:32 PM
Of course, we could get into a discussion of how much shade constitutes shade and how to measure it. The denser the shade, the poorer the performance of many plants. Suffice it to say, the plants will perform in the shade. How well they perform will depend upon many things, the bright shade being a characteristic. I have some of these plants growing in the shade, and they do well. The Carolina jessamine, moon vine, and some roses grow and bloom nicely in the parts of the garden that never get sun.

If you would like a plant the grows quickly to 8 - 10 feet and blooms nicely in the shade, a Rose of Sharon would not need the lattice, but could be trained and espaliered to it. The Rose of Sharon is deciduous, so that may be a disadvantage.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-05, 04:37 AM
fiatlux
Visiting Guest
Climbing vine/ivy/flower

My favorite is Parthenocissus tricuspidata, which is more commonly know as Boston Ivy. Since personal choices vary try visiting http://www.vanursery.com and click on the selection of vines to learn about other choices that might work better for you.

Thanks,
Jason